Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

music, shmusic

Photobucket


Lately I've been finding myself on NPR.com because their 'First Listen' previews are usually pretty awesome. It's also one of the only music streaming sites that isn't blocked at my office. I love finding loopholes. Back in the day I was pretty good at finding leaks, but in the last couple years I decided it wasn't worth the risk to my computer (viruses and other crap) and I just got lazy. Anyway... last week NPR had Sarah Jaffe's album streaming and then I found Sara Watkins' new album streaming.
While listening to Sun Midnight Sun I was thinking about all the albums coming out this month that I'm stoked about. And then I thought let's talk about it this week. [: These are the albums I'm most excited about for the month of May:
  
8th 
Neck of the Woods by Silversun Pickups

Sun Midnight Sun 
by Sara Watkins (on NPR)
18th
The Temper Trap by The Temper Trap
22nd
Born & Raised by John Mayer
28th
Valtari by Sigur Ros


I heard The Temper Trap's single, 'Need Your Love' and I wasn't blown away. It didn't hit me anywhere near as hard as 'Sweet Disposition' did a couple  years ago. With that said it's hard not to fall in love with their sound. They make me feel like I'm living in a movie scene. I'm curious about what the rest of the album will sound like.
I'm most excited about 
Born & Raised by John Mayer. I've gone through and listened to the clips on iTunes a ridiculous amount of times. They're only, at the most, one minute and thirty seconds long... but I can't get enough. I've listened through his entire discography countless times and almost every song has given me chills or brought me to tears at some point. He's just one of those artists that lands directly on my heart. His album will be streaming on iTunes on May 15, a week before the official release. YAY for full length tracks! [;  

I did stumble upon a fresh band this week, Horse Feathers. Thanks again, NPR.




They are a folk band from Portland, Oregon and their new album, Cynic's New Year, released a few weeks ago. They have a pretty mellow sound and the lead singer, Justin Ringle has a great voice. Maybe like a softer version of Robin Pecknold of Fleet Foxes? That's completely wrong I think, but Ringle's voice reminds me of someone and I cannot figure it out. I even had my sister sit down and listen. Anyway... it doesn't really matter much. I'm so in love with the world of folk music and this a great addition to my folk music collection. Cynic's New Year is on spotify along with all of their previous albums. I'm excited to start going through their discography.
This band that makes me wish I lived in a big city somewhere. It's the kind of raw music is the best when you can hear it live in a small venue setting. Some people consider this type of music boring, but I love the honest emotion of this type of music.



Today's Releases:

Out of the Game by Rufus Wainwright (on NPR)
Little Broken Hearts by Norah Jones (on NPR)
Early Takes, Vol. 1 by George Harrison 

By The Horn by Julia Stone


Guilty Pleasure Song:

Payphone by Maroon 5 - I mean... it's Adam Levine. 



What are you listening to today? Any albums you're stoked about this month?

Xx c


Lunch break edit: My super BFF Jessica posted a fun music blurb today as well. She's grade A, with a fabulous taste in music. I will be checking out the bands she mentioned for sure.

5 comments:

  1. Listening to Horse Feathers right now...totally in love, lady. My favorite album right now is Shallow Bed by Dry the River...and still stuck on Of Monsters & Men + Sarah Jaffe is INCREDIBLE.

    Just sayin. I love your weekly music posts! They brighten my life, babygrrl (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're good, right?! I'm really enjoying how calm the album feels.

    I'm going to check out Dry the River, because I don't think I've heard any of that.

    thanks for lovin' the music, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kept hoping all day you were gonna post a new blog and you never did! It's Sundayyy! Where's my blog post?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry! Gah i'm the worst. But i've got one coming up today, tomorrow (tunes-day) and another later in the week! new photos coming!

    Hopefully that'll begin to make up for it. [:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still no blog post.
    bummer.

    ReplyDelete