Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

DIY: Simple Honey Face Wash

A few weeks ago I was discussing with my friend about how my sisters make fun of me for the large amount of beauty products that I own. From toners and astringents to moisturizers and cleaners, scrubs, whatever! You name it and I probably have a bottle of it or have used it at one time. Partially because I've been on the hunt for a long time for something that works consistently and partially because I love taking care of my skin. I will admit that the large amount of products available is crazy and it can be overwhelming trying to decide which product or line of products to settle on. Within one brand you've got about 5 different choices promising 50 different results. It's quite silly and I've definitely been sucked in from time to time.
Anyway... my friend proceeded to tell me a bit about her recent frustrations with having very little to choose from when it came to all natural products, and more specifically fragrance-free. I'd never traveled down the organic or all-natural road before so I couldn't offer much advice. But I didn't need to because she already had a solution! An affordable, natural solution: baking soda and honey.
At first I was super skeptical... because it sounded too good to be true. But having had a recent break-out party on my face I was willing to try anything. So she gave me a little container to try and I loved it! Now I don't have chronic acne, so if you are someone that has seen dermatologists for your skin-care needs I can't say this will work for you. I'm just a lady that has minor breaks out here and there. It took a good week or so for me to notice a difference, but ever since I started using this concoction my face has felt softer, less oily, and I feel like my skin has a healthier glow. I tend to struggle with oily skin, especially in my "T" zone. When you live in South Texas like I do the humidity and intense heat only make this problem worse. I was stoked to see such a big difference in my skin in the oil department.

I had my friend Jesse go through the process of making the face wash for me so I could stop being a moocher and make it myself. [; It's super easy and very simple; ridiculously simple.


You will need Baking Soda and Natural Raw Honey.


There isn't exact measurements for this part. A lot depends on how large of a batch you want to make. Since the ingredients are not the type to go bad you could actually make yourself a large batch and not have to make some for a few months.
I suggest working the baking soda and honey together until you get the correct consistency. It 
will be a little gritty and still pretty sticky. If it starts to get runny you've added to much honey, so just add a little more baking soda to even it out. You want to end up with a look similar to sugar cookie dough. If the mixture can be formed into a little ball with your hands you're doing good! 


Another tip my friend passed on is while mixing in the honey make sure that the baking soda remains on the walls of the bowl. Obviously the honey is very sticky and you'll have an awful time trying to mix honey that is stuck to the wall of your bowl.


I hope from the pictures you can see what the final product should look like.



We only had little containers to put the batch in, but you can get as large a jar as you'd like. Now I can't tell you why this stuff works so well, but it does! It's an inexpensive and chemical-free way to take care of your skin. For about 8 or 9 dollars you can have 3 to 5 months of facial cleanser. Boom! How cool is that?


What are some of your favorite beauty products? Be sure to let me know if you make up a batch of the honey face wash for yourself, I'd love to know how it's working for you!

xoxo -c



11 comments:

  1. Hmm, I might have to try this! How do you use it? Do you use it with water like a facial soap, or do you just smear it on your face and leave it for a while like a mask? I'm always trying different face washes because they seem to work for a time and then become ineffective, like my face is learning how to out-smart the soap or something. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use it as a cleanser or face wash. I usually massage into my skin with my hands for about 3 minutes before i rinse it off. I have a couple other things I use along with this, but this is my primary facial cleanser. I use it twice a day; once in the morning and a second time at night.

    Haha, it's so true though! I've had that problem for a while... so frustrating! I think our faces are smarter than we think. [;

    ReplyDelete
  3. ZOMG I love this! So weird because earlier I read this post about using baking soda & apple cider vinegar (not together, haha) as exfoliants. Crazytown! I definitely am going to try this, stat. (This is the post I was talking about: http://www.eatsleepcuddle.com/2012/04/crush-of-week-natural-skincare.html)

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS I think you'll like that blog in general; the photo quality is totally jskaontheground-inducing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really is wonderful... I ran out of it yesterday and didn't have the ingredients to make it last night. So last night I had to use some other stuff I had and my skin was way more oily than it has been in the last month. I'm just in love with this stuff!

    thanks for the link I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it good 4 people with sensitive skin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great for sensitive skin!

      The reason I can say that is because my friend that convinced me to try it began using it because she has sensitive skin. She's allergic to products with fragrances (which is most everything)and she found that this cleared up her skin without causing over-drying or irritation.

      If you give it a try I'd love to hear if it worked well for you! [:

      The one thing I'd just be careful about is adding too much honey. I recently mixed a batch with too much honey and it left my skin a little more oily than the previous batch I had been using. Get a good all-natural raw honey and make sure that your final product is fairly gritty. When you rub it on your face you want it to feel like your rubbing salt or little beads into your skin... less smooth more gritty.

      Delete
    2. So all u have to do is apply to your face? Do u have to use. Cotton flannel?

      Delete
    3. Yes, pretty much! I use my hands to massage into my skin... usually for about 3 minutes or so before rinsing it off. If you want to use some sort of cotton or a cloth I'm sure that would work fine!

      Delete
  7. This is so cool! Is this like OCM where you start with a dry face? Is it better to splash your face first? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitly start with a damp face, it makes it easier to work it into your skin.

      No problem!

      Delete