Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

music, shmusic


Photobucket

May 8th Releases


Sun Midnight Sun

Last week I listed this album as being one of my most anticipated for the month of May. I also linked over to the album streaming on NPR; I hope you went and listened to it.
Sara was a part of Nickel Creek back in the day and I haven't followed her as closely as Chris Thile over the years, but since my recent obsession with Punch Brothers I decided to look up the members of Nickel Creek. Sara has had her hands in multiple different projects in the last few years, even joining The Decemberists as a touring member in 2011. Sun Midnight Sun is her second solo effort, her first was a self-titled release in 2009. I'll be honest I never listened to the self-titled album. I guess I'm not a real fan. [;
However, I'm in love with Sun Midnight Sun! Sara is a violinist and the strings on the instrumental track, "The Ward Accord" are beautiful. The other instrumental track "The Foothills" kicks off the album with some feet stomping fun that carries over to the second track, "You and Me". Fiona Apple lends her voice for "You're the One I Love" which is the peppiest track on the album. Sara and Fiona's voices blend well and the quick melody makes me want to find a barn or a field to dance it out.
Other than these three tracks the album is pretty mellow throughout. The harshest or most honest track for me is "When It Pleases You". This is also one of my favorites on the album. The contrast between Sara's soft vocals and the honesty in the lyrics is awesome. "Impossible" and "I'm a Memory" are my other two favorite tracks.
Sun Midnight Sun incorporates multiple genres, speaking of Sara's versatility as an artist. The album still has a heavy bluegrass or folk foundation, largely due to Sara's work on strings. I've become emotionally invested in this album, I love it.

Also This:


Listen here.

And This:


Listen here.


More Releases:
Strangeland by Keane
Stop Us If You've Heard This One Before! by Barenaked Ladies
Hello by Karmin

Here's a cool interview The Wall Street Journal did with Chris Thile and Noam Pikelny of Punch Brothers. 





Last week my friend Jessica was talking about Dry the River and I'd never heard of them. Well I looked them up on Spotify and I've fallen in love. The entire album is great and I love this video:




This video came up on my tumblr dashboard the other day and I fell in love with this song all over again. I have no idea what she's saying, but it sounds beautiful. Maybe I'll learn french one day soon:





What are you listening to today? 


xoxo -c

Lunch Break Edit:

mewithoutYou is coming out with a new album on the 15th. I failed to put this is my "Most Anticipated" May albums, oops. But anyway... The entire album is streaming exclusively on Spotify a whole week before the album drops! BOOM! I'm hoping this link works. checkkk it outtt!  


Also:
this is a brilliant cover of "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen.


2 comments:

  1. Checking out Sun Midnight Sun right now. Loving the strings.

    An album I'm really looking forward to this month is Regina Spektor's What We Saw From The Cheap Seats. Stoked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! Another I over looked! How could i forget Regina? I'm looking forward to it as well... [:

    ReplyDelete