Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

file #5224/weekend wrap up.

I think i mentioned this in a previous post, but while i was in Tennessee the LCD monitor on my T3i cracked. I'm not completely sure how it happened, other than it was completely my fault and completely awful. Fortunately i purchased a warranty plan for it and i called the people and they were really great and helpful. Anyway... i sent my camera off this past Wednesday and they tell me it will take 7 to 10 days to get back. More than once this weekend  i went to grab my camera from it's bag and got super sad when i remembered that it wasn't there. so for the next little while all i've got is my 35mm and my camera phone. sounds like a good challenge; things could be far worse.


camera phone photo
Today marks a very sad day in my life. Today Sundance Records closed it's doors. Sundance is in San Marcos, Texas and they've been open since 1977. A small part of me died when i found out. I lived in San Marcos for almost two years and while i was there i would go to Sundance about twice a month (aka every time i got paid) and it didn't matter if i bought anything or not... just to walk through there and drink in the history (and incense) and be around that much music was so calming. This past Thursday night i took my last walk through the place and i bought 'Planet Waves' by Bob Dylan. I couldn't walk out of there without buying one last record. My love for vinyl runs so deep and it's largely due to this place.
Below is a video of an interview with Greg Ellis who's worked at Sundance since 1983 or 1984... he couldn't remember. ha. He has some cool things to say about Sundance and music in general. If you've got 11 minutes check out. 





I also did a little antiquing with my good friend Cathy. We spent friday afternoon in Gruene, Texas which has two of our favorite antique stores and we always find cool stuff. We also stopped at an estate sale. Estate sales mostly creep me out... but they can also be gold mines. This one we showed up too late i think, because there wasn't much left... everything was either junk or way overpriced or both.
I bought a few old photographs to add to my collection from the antique stores. I don't know if it's weird but i plan on giving all of these people a home on a wall one day. It seems like the saddest thing in the world that there isn't a relative or friend that wants these personal photographs. When i look through stacks of old photos i'm always struck by the fact that these people's happy moments and memories have been reduced to a $1.50. So i've taken it upon myself to give them a new home. Obviously i have no idea who any of the people are or who's behind the camera but for me that's part of the beauty; my imagination goes wild creating lives and stories for these people. One of the many reasons why i love photography and why i love capturing moments is driven by my struggle with the quick passing of time. I love the idea of being able to 'freeze' time; freeze emotion in a little 4x6 memory. It's my way of making sure i won't forget. One day when i have a place of my own again or just a big enough wall (i'm collection has grown quite a bit) i'll fill it with these nameless people; i don't want them to go forgotten.

Along with the photos i picked up a self titled Paul Simon (1972) album. Shout out to Cathy for giving me Tommy by The Who (1969); she's a great friend. And then of course Planet Waves by Bob Dylan (1974). 

(that's my toe in the bottom right corner.)
my room

The above two photos finished off a roll of film (file #5224) that i've had a lot longer than i thought. I didn't realize this before i got it developed but they went all the way back to May 2011. Last spring was the hardest period of my life so far and in May we traveled up to my home in New England for my Mem's funeral. The photos are from the time my family and i spent on the coast in Gloucester, Massachusetts with our very good friends. The entire trip was so bittersweet; it marked the end of so much and seeing the photos brought back a lot of happy and sad memories. These were all shot with my Canon EOS Rebel K2 35mm and the last two are double exposure shots. 










double exposure

double exposure


The next set of photos are from the same roll of film, but they were taken on my recent trip to Tennessee. I'm proud of these.








double exposure












I had a lovely weekend... and i'm so happy with how all the photos came out and my antique finds. Did you do anything exciting you want to share? I'd love to hear about it.


Xx christine






p.s. APRIL FOOLS! none of this happened. psych! it all happened. [:

2 comments:

  1. NO ONE TOLD ME SUNDANCE CLOSED DOWN?!!! Ohhh my heart :(

    But lovely post, ladybird. The pictures from TN are beautiful! I see what you mean about lines. Great composition. PS those antique photos are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sundance closing was such a sad time. ]:

    thanks for all the support and lovin'. <3

    ReplyDelete