Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

music, shmusic

Photobucket


If you follow my blog at all you know that I was pretty pumped about Record Store Day last Saturday. I went through the list of albums that were being released exclusively and highlighted all the ones I wanted a few days before and I was PUMPED. I went back and forth about driving up to Austin or staying more locally. Austin obviously would have had more to offer, but i felt like part of the day (at least for myself) was supporting/checking out a local independent record store. So my friend and I got up early, picked up our fave Sbux beverage and drove over to Lone Star Music in Gruene, Texas. Saturday was a beautifully perfect day in South Texas... it really doesn't get any better.

via (Instagram)




The store didn't end up having any of the albums I'd been super excited about, but I did make some cool finds. The album I had wanted the most was a vinyl copy of The Civil Wars' cover of Billie Jean. I didn't get it, but I did get the CD they released, 'Live at Amoeba'. Which is just wonderful. I saw them live a few months ago and this CD brought all of that back in a lovely way.
This year they pressed the Empire Records Soundtrack to vinyl as an exclusive release. I debated on whether to buy it or not. The movie is so great, one of my favorites. I'm pretty sure when it released in 1995 everyone thought it was complete trash, but among my friends and I it's iconic. I also love 90's music, so I caved and had to purchase it... it's all fancy and numbered on the back. [:
I talked to the woman working the store and she told me that the Nickel Creek albums were actually leftover from last year. I was stoked because they were only $9.99 a piece. I talked about them briefly in the post I wrote last week for my friend Jessica's blog, but Nickel Creek was such a huge influence on me when I was 13 or 14. I couldn't bare leaving the albums sitting on the shelf. The Dharohar Project, Laura Marling and Mumford & Sons album was also a leftover, I don't know if I squealed out-loud, but I was feeling pretty giddy on the inside over this one. The album is just so cool... such a neat blend of music. The last thing I picked up was 'Long Live the King' EP by The Decemberists. This was just a no-brainer for me. The Decemberists are so good.

That's my Record Store Day wrap up. It was a good day... my friend and I even ate cupcakes later that afternoon. It really was just a wonderful day.

This post is a little different than my usual tunes-day post, but I wanted to share my purchases from last Saturday. Did you hit up a record store on Saturday? Find anything awesome? Please share! 

Below are a few albums that I'm pretty excited about today: 


Greg Laswell - Landline
Sarah Jaffe - The Body Wins (hear it on NPR.)
Beach House - Bloom
The Dandy Warhols - This Machine

I'm probably close to losing your attention so I won't go into detail with each album, but I will say that the Sarah Jaffe album is really good and worth listening to. My first listen through I hated it... I wanted Suburban Nature by Sarah Jaffe all over again! This album is different than anything I've heard her do before. Which is why initially I was like, ewwww! Where's the acoustic guitar?! I'm hooked now... I'm a super fan.

What are you listening to today?

Xx c


1 comment:

  1. Record Store Day was lovely. I'm so glad I went with you!

    Today, I'm checking out an album I saw at work that caught my eye. Season One by All Sons & Daughters. So far so good! Also: still loving The Vespers.

    ReplyDelete