Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

music, shmusic.

Photobucket


For the last couple days i've been checking out upcoming releases and nothing has me pumped. (now if there's something i missed that you're stoked about... by all means share, because i want to know about it.) i've made the decision to talk about bluegrass music; specifically Punch Brothers.



I've always been a fan of bluegrass and folksie types of music. One of my first musical influences was country music... 90's country radio is all wrapped up in my childhood. As i grew up bluegrass music has been a more comfortable place for me. (due largely to how much country music has become more like pop music than anything else.) Bluegrass and folk are two genres that have some of the most authentic and natural music i've ever heard. I love string instruments and i really love watching people play the banjo or mandelin or violin; heck i love an upright bass. [: No, but really... it's my favorite type of music to watch people play... there are people in this world that own their instruments and i've always felt like Chris Thile is one of those people.


So Chris Thile... what a guy. [: he has been a favorite of mine since Nickel Creek. If you don't know Nickel Creek i'm sad to say they are no longer a band, but do yourself a favor and look them up on spotify or get their stuff on itunes. Chris along with Sean and Sara Watkins were Nickel Creek and they released some of the best harmonies i've ever heard. A part of my heart died the day they announced the end. But i'm getting off topic... Chris Thile is an incredible mandelin player, singer, songwriter... he's the whole package. He can make his instrument speak... if that makes sense? He also has one of my favorite voices... the man basically makes me week in the knees. [:
He released a few solo-ish things after Nickel Creek, but in 2008 he formed Punch Brothers and they became official consisting of members Chris Thile, Paul Kowert, Chris Eldridge, Noam Pikelny, and Gabe Witcher. I'm fairly new to these guys... their newest release is titled, 'Who's Feeling Young Now?' It's their third release since 2008 when they released Punch; that was followed up with 'Antifogmatic' in 2010. These two I have not given a solid listen to so i can't tell you much about them, but 'Who's Feeling Young Now?' is very good... i can tell you that. [: It's been out for about a month and a half, so i'm late on this one; oh well.



The first track on 'Young' is called, 'Movement and Location' and it's basically a showcase of each members strengths. The track starts out fast and it builds anticipation by dropping off and speeding back up till midway through it reaches a peak and Chris Thile's voice soars hitting some high notes that are just so lovely. it feels a bit like a roller coaster or a horror movie. (or it might be nothing like that.) 'Sooner or Never' and 'New York City' are two of my other favorites, and 'This Girl' makes me feel so happy. It has a catchy melody and i couldn't help but dance a bit and sing along. The whole album this great... these are just four tracks that just stuck out to me while i was listening to the album. 

If you don't like bluegrass you won't like this band... so this tunes-day is not for you. but please give it a chance (just one listen through), because they are coming to Antone's in Austin on the 2nd of May and it's probably going to be an incredible show. So if you're in the area buy a ticket, i plan on it.


"New York City" (Live at WFUV)


Those are my thoughts on 'Who's Feeling Young Now?' and Chris Thile. This is the type of music that one day i will be proud to play for my kids or my grandkids. Which is why i plan on getting a copy on vinyl. In my opinion this is the kind of music that will last. 




Also... Sigur Rós released a brand new track yesterday from their upcoming album, 'Valtari'. It is set to drop on the 28th of May. The song is called, Ekki múkk' and if you don't like this either then... oops. My big sis has never been a fan of these guys, she says she doesn't understand the point. It's pretty music... that's the point. So if you'd like to check out the track, it is here below this sentence; let me know what you think.


Sigur Rós - Ekki múkk from Sigur Rós on Vimeo.




what are YOU listening to today? (i'm going to keep asking this until someone answers me.)

Xx christine

4 comments:

  1. PUNCH BROTHERS! I haven't listented to them so much, but I died when Chris Thile did his solo thaaang. How to Grow a Woman from the Ground was the album of my heart for two years straight...and his cover of Heart in a Cage?! LOVE. (I didn't even know it was a Strokes song at the time...haha). I'm totally inspired now to go home and listen to these guys after work. Lately though I've been jammin Gotye, Bon Iver, and Sigur Ros' Takk (dunno why I'm revisiting this so hard right now, but I am) to answer your question. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. [:

    yay! sounds super similar to what i've been listening to lately... Sigur Ros never gets old for me... i pull out their stuff every few months and it always blows my mind.

    i'm going to have to youtube that cover Chris did, because i don't think i've heard it. thanks ma'am!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been listening to your last tunes-day recommendation of Birdy plus some NEEDTOBREATHE (does it bother anyone else that their name is all in caps?) - but let's face it, that guys voice is too cool. NOW I shall listen to Punch Brothers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i need to give NEEDTOBREATHE a solid listen because i hear good things about them but haven't experienced the good things myself. i must do that...

    (and yes it does bother me.)

    what's your fave track off the Birdy album?

    ReplyDelete