Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

music, shmusic.

Photobucket
i feel like i should have prefaced my first 'tunes-day' post with a little more description of what i want this little thing to be... so i'll do that now.
like i said before i love music, and i love discussing music with people... if you've known me for any length of time i'm sure i've asked you, "so what have you been listening to lately?" the music world is somewhere i feel comfortable in as far as artists, bands, band members, album releases, who's who... things like that.
so it seems only natural to write about all of this. i'm not a music expert and i've never been that great of a writer so if you don't understand my descriptions it's probably because i'm awful at describing what i'm trying to say. [: anyway... if you have any thoughts on any of the music i talk about feel free to add your own thoughts in the comments. again... hearing how other people are affected by music is one of my favorite things.

i chose tuesday because albums come out on tuesday, but i'll be posting on more than just album releases. cause this is my blog and i'm sure they'll be some tuesdays where there won't be any albums that i'm particularly super excited about.

i'm not sure if all of that was necessary, but i said it. [: anyway...


Anarchy, My Dear by Say Anything






OUT TODAY: my favorite thing about Say Anything is the songwriting. Max Bemis writes in such an honest way. there is a depth to his songs that keeps me coming back. i've had moments where a song that i've heard a million times will hit me in a brand new way and i will fall in love with it for a whole new reason. plus bous: for those moments i feel like that hardcore punk that i've always wished i was, but will never be. [;


i've listened through this album three times so far and i'm stoked to get this one on my ipod and jam it. it's got a good amount of anger (for all of the punks in us.) that helps to keep the sweet words for his wife Sherri from being too cheesy. [:
Sherri Dupree (of Eisley) leds her voice for two of the tracks on the album and their voices mix so well. my favorite track, (so far anyway... like i said before these are the types of songs that hit me differently over time), is one that Sherri is on called, 'Overbiter'. it has a fun beat, driven by a strong presence on keys... i found myself tapping along on my desk. the title track, 'Anarchy, My Dear' is another track that stuck out to me, as well as 'Sheep'. 

my thoughts so far are mostly based on how the sound of the music is hitting my ears... i haven't taken the time just yet to read through and dissect the lyrics, but i know i won't be disappointed.
Say Anything's last self-titled effort was less gritty than the albums before it and i think with this newest release, 'Anarchy, My Dear' they've returned to that gritty-ness without backtracking on themselves or creating the same album over again. i give this album a solid high five (whatever that's worth), and if you're not keen on buying it just based on this vague/crappy review head over to here and take a listen. it's free to stream and it's definitely worth at least that much. 



best buy's got the album on sale today for $7.99 so that's cool.


this post is a little short (probably set the expectations a little high with the last post; i got a little excited), but since i'm in tennessee right now i didn't have as much time. 


i hope you guys are well. what have you been listening to lately? any albums come out today that you're stoked about? let me know!


Xx christine









No comments:

Post a Comment