Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

music, shmusic: The Rocketboys and The Rocket Summer + Daughter and Lennon & Maisy

Photobucket

The Rocketboys: Justin Wiseman, Brandon Kinder and Josh Campbell 

My best friend told me about the The Rocketboys a few years ago, at that time they went by Homer Hiccolm & the Rocketboys. They eventually moved from Abilene, Texas to Austin, dropped 'Homer Hiccolm' from their name and have since lost three members.
The band almost called it quits after the last two guys left. During the in between time lead singer Brandon Kinder released a solo project, The Wealthy West (fantastic by the way). The three remaining dudes decided to keep going and the new album, 
Build Anyway, drops today



Well, no surprise I love it. (I mean... I probably wouldn't be writing all this if I didn't love it.) Brandon's voice has been one of my favorites for a long time. I guess you could classify their music as indie pop... which some would say is way too common and maybe overrated? It's hard to say either one of those things when the music/songwriting is just so good. This album is just so smooth in my ears. That's probably a silly thing to say but I can't think of another way to say it... it flows so nicely from one ear to the other. For me it has a lot to do with how piano drive it the songs are.
"Bloodlines" soars and I like all the "oh"'s. There's a line in "Carry Me" I can't get out of my head... "If all of my troubles are hurricanes, then I'm seeing circling clouds." The lyrics to "Carry Me" 
are so relatable, I mean the whole album is, but I think that's what got me. Whether they come from a super personal experience or not I don't know (I'm assuming, yes) but I made them personal to myself. 

Side note: It's hard to discuss the lyrical side of music sometimes, because I obviously don't know these people personally. I find myself just concluding certain things from an artists songs and then I subconsciously decide that it's fact. But sometimes it's not... sometimes it's just a story or a pondering of "what if?" and I think I should remember that before placing judgement or drawing conclusions about the writer. hmmm... just thoughts. This might be just a me problem.

Another track that stood out to me immediately is "These Are Hard Times"... which, the more I listen, the more I feel this is a prominent theme throughout the album. 
The entire album is streaming on Past Magazine's website. If your budget is tight like mine, listen to it there and then decide for yourself. Let me know what you think... I hope you like this one! They are having a CD release party in Austin and one in San Antonio. I will be at the San Antonio show with two of my sisters. So that'll be fun. It's at Sam's Burger Joint on Thursday, 7th June more info here and it should be pretty fun. Come out and support some really good music. 




I've seen The Rocket Summer live three times and besides Mute Math it's probably the most fun I've had at a show ever. There was even confetti at one I went to a few years ago... I think I still have some taped into a journal somewhere.
Bryce Avery's music is so energetic and full of life. The passion he infuses into each track is infectious. I'm sure I've provided a few solid laughs to people I've driven by while jamming to Bryce Avery's music. It's so hard to keep still... [: Life Will Write The Words is the first album released on Avery's own record label Aviate Records.


This album is out today and it's the strongest he's released so far. He doesn't fall into the cheesy pop as much as he has on his previous efforts. He's doing a good job of growing up in this genre. Most people have their moment and die off or get too old.
In recent years I've been consumed with more folk inspired music and bands like The Rocket Summer have fallen out of my regular rotation. The reason I haven't completely broken away is because of his songwriting and his passion. I don't think I'll ever love this genre the way I did in high school, but it's hard to leave behind music that has such deep meaning and purpose.
One of my favorite things about his live show is his obvious love for Jesus. It's powerful to watch him worship Jesus among a crowd that might not believe the same things he does. I respect his conviction. "Circa '46" and "The Rescuing Type" are my two favorite tracks off the album. It's definitely worth listening to, but I think it will be one of those albums that doesn't get too much play time on my iPod. Purevolume is streaming the album so check it out there.


Daughter is my newest obsession. Elena Tonra, Igor Haefeli and Remi Aguilella are the members of Daughter and they have created some very beautiful music. They have two EPs out right now: The Wild Youth and His Young Heart. I've had them on repeat for days now... I can't seem to get enough of Elena's voice. My favorite tracks right now are "Landfill" and "Youth".



My mind was blown last Thursday night when I saw this... 


Lennon is 12 and Maisy is 8... it's just so beautiful I tear up every time. I guess I'm just a huge sap and these girls are just so adorable. They do make me feel extremely untalented. [; I'm sure we'll be seeing them on Ellen sometime soon.


What are you listening to today? Any releases you're stoked about?

Xoxo - c

1 comment:

  1. Love this post, as usual. Those girls at the end are so cute! AHHHHH! I feel extremely untalented too now, thanks...kidding (:

    I'm listening to Daughter (OMG Landfill/Youth are my favoritesfavoritesfavorites), Dry the River...Billy Joel haha. Yacht (Shangri-La mostly). Still can't get over King & Lionheart by Of Monsters & Men. Just can't. Listening to a lot of sad songs lately too. I don't know what that means, haha. I love you!

    ReplyDelete